[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] 2.6.1 and 3.0

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Nov 19 18:51:42 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>  > While I'm happy that Barry has automated his part to a high degree,
>>  > my part is, unfortunately, much less automated. I could personally
>>  > automate the build process a bit more, but part of it is also testing
>>  > of the installers, which is manual.
>>
>> Maybe you could delegate a lot of the testing to competent volunteers?
>
> That's not the issue - I don't mind spending that time. However, it
> means that several hours pass between starting the release process, and
> making the binaries available - during this time, users always complain
> why the Windows binaries are not released yet.

In which case why not just hold the release until all installers are
available? It's not like Beaujolais Nouveau, with people racing to be
the first to get a new release installed. Particularly since the final
release is usually just the re-tagged release candidate.

Or are the complainers Python developers who know what goes on behind
the scenes?

> With additional volunteers, availability of the binaries would lag even
> more behind the release announcement.

I really appreciate the dedicated work you put in to the Windows
installers (as I am sure many others do also), but I wouldn't want to
saddle you with it indefinitely. How well is the procedure documented? I
ask this in hopes that you aren't a potential single point of failure in
the release process.

...]
regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119