[Python-3000] Fwd: UPDATED: PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Atsuo Ishimoto ishimoto at gembook.org
Sat May 31 19:30:05 CEST 2008

Hi Guido,

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:32 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Hi Atsuo,
>
> I'm very close to accepting your PEP. I have a few questions:

Great!

> - The Rationale has a more elaborate (and perhaps slightly
> conflicting, regarding the status of ASCII space?) definition of our
> definition of non-printable than the Specification. Perhaps this could
> be merged?

Yes, I'll merge them.

> - I'm still not comfortable with making stdout default to
> backslashreplace. Stuff written to stdout might be consumed by another
> program that might misinterpret the \ escapes. Previously I thought I
> was okay with doing this only if stdout.isatty() returns True, but I
> think that would just add confusion of the kind "it works in
> interactive mode but not when redirecting to a file".  I'm okay with
> apps who think they need this setting that explicitly, but not to
> having it be the default. (For stderr however I agree that
> backslashreplace is the right default.)

Okay, we'll keep 'strict' as default error handler for stdout always,
then. I can live with it.
But, my $0.02, I expect this issue will be revisited after people
start to develop real applications with Python 3.x.

> - What happens to Unicode characters that are "unassigned"? I assume
> there are many of those, especially outside the basic plane. Shouldn't
> we be conservative and convert these to \u or \U escapes as well?

Unassigned characters are defined as 'Cn ' in the Unicode database and
they will be escaped.

I'll update the PEP and the patch on Sunday. Thank you!