[Python-3000] Single buffer implied in new buffer protocol?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed May 28 04:07:58 CEST 2008

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Obviously, if you
> haven't provided a Py_buffer structure to fill in, then you are only
> asking to lock the object's buffer from other access.

What's the use case for that? Why would you ever want
to lock an object if you don't intend to access it?

BTW, I seem to remember when the PEP was being discussed
that there was talk of putting some intelligence into the
PyObject_* layer to make things easier for both the
user and the provider, such as filling in some members
of the Py_buffer if the provider didn't do it. Did
anything come of that?

--
Greg