[Python-3000] PEP 3138- String representation in Python 3000

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:53:39 CEST 2008

On 15/05/2008, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> My apologies if I misunderstood your proposal - I have almost no
> Unicode experience, and that probably shows :-)

One point I forgot to clarify is that I'm fully aware that
print(arbitrary_string) may display garbage, if the string contains
Unicode that my display can't handle. The key point for me is that
print(repr(arbitrary_string)) is *guaranteed* to display correctly,
even on my limited-capability terminal, precisely because it only uses
ASCII and no matter how dumb, all terminals I know of display ASCII.

Paul.