[Python-3000] [Python-checkins] r62848 - python/trunk/Objects/setobject.c

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:41:20 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Or aggressively back out any changes from freeze time to tag time.  If we
> don't add the commit hook lock, I will be very strict about this come the
> betas.

I know this way is fairly entrenched in the python release process,
but it sounds like it's using the tools incorrectly. In particular
with subversion is very easy (compared to cvs) to branch and to switch
branches locally. Why not create a new prerelease branch at the
beginning of freeze and only merge in the critical changes? This way
only the release manager need know or care about the branch, and
nobody else has to really modify his behavior. Then tag, move, and/or
delete the branch as desired.

The obvious stumbling blocks include buildbots not following the new
branch (this could be a blocker), and release scripts possibly needing
modifications if they contain direct svn url references.

--
Michael Urman