[Python-3000] keeping __future__ imports [was: Re: [Python-3000-checkins] r61682 - in python/branches/py3k: Include/code.h Include/compile.h Lib/__future__.py Lib/test/test_print.py Python/future.c]

Eric Smith eric+python-dev at trueblade.com
Fri Mar 21 04:07:08 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Cool, I can live with that. Are all current __future__ statements
> still valid in 3.0?

Yes, all of them are in __future__.py.  But most references to 2 of them
(nested scopes and generators) have been deleted from the C code, in
both 2.6 and 3.0.

I think it is useful to have a few in the C code, so that there are
examples of how to implement them.  But maybe just having them in svn is
good enough, and we should delete the remnants out of the active C
source.  Or maybe delete all but one, and leave it #ifdef'd out, which
looks to be the case in 3.0, at least.

I think the only important part is that all of the __future__ imports
work (and do nothing) in 3.0.