[Python-3000] Using *a for packing in lists and other places

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Mar 16 06:57:23 CET 2008

Charles Merriam wrote:
> -1.
>
> While the syntax has a basic beauty, it requires too much odd explanation.

On further reflection, I think I would only be in
favour of 'yield *it' if it permitted an optimisation
allowing it to run more efficently than an explicit
for-loop.

In the absence of any such optimisation, writing the
for-loop out explicitly seems preferable. Not only
does it make it perfectly clear what is being done,
it avoids hiding the cost of the for-loop behind a
deceptively compact piece of syntax.

--
Greg