[Python-3000] RELEASED Python 2.6a1 and 3.0a3

Jim Kleckner jek-gmane at kleckner.net
Fri Mar 7 00:41:33 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Thanks for fixing these Martin!
>
> I have now also uploaded signed MSI files for 3.0a3.
>
> I have not tested them on a machine which doesn't have the
> VS 2008 CRT installed (as all the machines I can access
> right now do have it); please report what works and what
> doesn't.

When I install 2.6a1 onto a Windoze machine without any previous
install, I get a dialog:
  There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.
  A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Note that it didn't have VS2008 or any other new code installed.

When running the Python console, running
  import Tkinter

results in an error saying that _tkinter can't be loaded.
  DLL load failed.  The system can't find _tkinter.pyd

_tkinter.pyd and tcl84.dll and tk84.dll are in DLLs and
appear to have reasonable permissions.

I suspect something in the install failed to set something
in the registry.  Is there any log file of the install
to inspect?