[Python-3000] should Python 3's executable install as 'python'?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Mar 5 19:11:50 CET 2008

    Guido> Actually I believe the conclusion was that "make install" should
    Guido> be have like "make altinstall". Now that I think about it I
    Guido> believe there should be *no* way to install it as just "python"
    Guido> -- that's just encouraging people to do something dumb.

Well, whoever updates the Makefile will need to update the README file as
well.  I checked in a change earlier describing how to properly install
multiple versions using the altinstall target.

If, in the future, the install target does what the altinstall target does
today, what should the target that does what the install target does today?

    (???, install) = (install, altinstall)

Skip