[Python-3000] Question to _users_ -- about over all perceptions/feelings

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 17:14:29 CEST 2008

Jesse Noller wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2008, at 7:56 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Care to give any examples of 'unbeautifying' other than the print
>> statement -> print function conversion?
>
> I would tend to disagree that the new print function is less "pretty" -
> I've actually found it to be more consistent and 'pretty' within the
> language. But YMMV.

I personally feel the same way you do, but I can also see how folks
might prefer the version without parentheses in some ways and hence
consider this to be "uglier" in Python 3.

My question was more to do with the fact that I can't think of anything
other than the print changes where anyone might even *consider* the Py3k
approach to be uglier than the 2.x equivalent. Exception handlers are
cleaner, metaclasses are cleaner, string-based formatting is cleaner
(well, for named substitutions, anyway), dealing with unicode is cleaner
(albeit compulsory now, rather than letting ASCII-only programmers
strive to ignore its existence), dict views are cleaner than using lists
for everything... *shrug* 3.0 code is definitely going to be *different*
when compared to 2.x - but uglier? Nah.

Cheers,
Nick.