[Python-3000] compiler module

Thomas Lee tom at vector-seven.com
Sat Jan 12 01:05:40 CET 2008

Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2008 8:39 AM, Joe Angell <joe.d.angell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any plans to
>> add the compiler module back in to py3k?  If so, any idea on a
>> timeline?  If help is needed I may be able to put in some time on
>> this.  I've already back ported some of the py3k grammar (function
>> parameter annotations) to python 2.5.1 so I can use this with the
>> compiler module, but I think it would be sweet to just use py3k
>> directly.
>>

> As Guido said, it is not going back. But we would appreciate help in
> writing a function that takes Python's actual AST represesntation (as
> returned by compile()) and generated the proper bytecode from it.

I sent an e-mail regarding this earlier under another e-mail address but
it doesn't seem to have gone through due to security restrictions on the
Python mailing list:

I've been working on this for a while now at Neal's request and have a
(mostly working) patch, it's probably long overdue that I ask for some help:

http://bugs.python.org/issue1810

Effectively, it seems to work great for simple statements but it
segfaults when trying to compile a function. I wasn't able to figure out
why - the crash seems to occur while the code is being executed.

I also uploaded code to reproduce the crash I'm seeing with the patch
applied. Can anybody help me out with this?

Cheers,
Tom