[Python-3000] The grand renaming

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 1 20:04:11 CET 2008

I don't like renaming PyString to PyBytes right now -- in 2.6 this
sounds wrong since it is publicly known as the str[ing] type. Renaming
only in 3.0 would make merges from the trunk harder. (Unless you have
evidence to the contrary?)

I'm okay with renaming PyBytes -> PyByteArray, PyBuffer ->
PyMemoryView, and the corresponding file renames (make sure to update
all the project files, even for obsolete or minority compilers or
platforms).

There's also a bunch of potential renames in the area of method and
function objects, but I don't have the time to dig up the details.

--Guido