[Python-3000] PEP 3108 - stdlib reorg/cleanup

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Apr 29 23:26:18 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Benjamin Peterson
<musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>  >  #. Remove the module.
>  >  #. Remove the tests.
>  >  #. Edit ``Modules/Setup.dist`` and ``setup.py`` if needed.
>  >  #. Remove the docs (if applicable).
>  >  #. Run the regression test suite (using ``-uall``); watch out for
>  >    tests that are skipped because an import failed for the removed
>  >    module.
>
>  Why don't why apply the patch at issue 2409, so catching imports is easier?

Well, I have been planning implementing that exact function at some
point as part of my "let's get Python's testing tool support up to
snuff" project (which, of course, will happen between now and when I
fall over dead). I honestly didn't know about the patch plus I don't
have the time to go through and change every import for every module
such that the module being tested is optional (and thus skipped), but
that if the support modules are missing the test fails.

>  <not_hot_air>
>  +1 Overall, I'm very impressed. It's hard to find a PEP (especially
>  this big) that doesn't cause massive bikeshedding.
>  </not_hot_air>

Thanks for the compliment (and everyone else who has had nice things
to say). I am just glad I didn't drop the ball on this one (although
this all still needs to be implemented, so I still have a chance to
screw up =). Unfortunately I suspect I am going to pay the price for
doing this by having importlib slip until 3.1 (I don't think I have
enough time to work out the last three failing tests in time for
3.0b1). But that's actually okay as long as Guido doesn't tell me it
is 3.0 or bust. =)

-Brett