[Python-3000] PEP 3108 - stdlib reorg/cleanup

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:10:30 CEST 2008

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Adam Olsen <rhamph at gmail.com
> <mailto:rhamph at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org
>     <mailto:brett at python.org>> wrote:
>      >  * sched
>      >
>      >   + Replaced by threading.Timer.
>
>     I don't see sched as obsoleted by threading.Timer.  It's much simpler
>     to use (no need for locking) and more efficient (no legions of
>     sleeping threads).  Instead, maybe it should be removed because it's
>     trivial to reimplement as well as being overshadowed by all the other
>     event loops built into bigger systems (tk, qt, gtk, twisted, etc)?
>

> More importantly, sched doesn't use threads, so replacing it with
> threading.Timer is inappropriate :) But yes, it should just go.

I agree that "use a real event loop engine" is a better argument for
getting rid of sched/mutex than "use threads".

Perhaps sched/mutex could be dumped in the Demo directory? Or perhaps we
should just get rid of them entirely and see if anyone with a real use
case complains - it's not like the modules will be particularly hard to
dig out of SVN if we decide we want to keep them after all.

Cheers,
Nick.