[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Need help for SWIG's Python 3.0 backend

Haoyu Bai divinekid at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 15:48:51 CEST 2008

Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> -cc: python-dev
> +cc: python-3000
>
> Hi Haoyu,
>
> I'm glad someone wanting to work on updating swig for python 3.x.  A
> better mailing list for python 3.x internals questions as you work on
> this is the python-3000 at python.org <mailto:python-3000 at python.org> list.
>
> The first place I suggest looking when you have a question is in the
> Python trunk vs Python py3k branch source trees themselves (see
> http://python.org/dev/ for instructions on how to check them out from
> subversion).  Take a look at how functions were used internally in the
> Python/ and Objects/ subdirectories in trunk and take another look at
> how similar stuff works in the py3k branch and maybe it'll give you
> hints about what to do.
>
> It'd be ideal if swig could do its thing in the future without using any
> undocumented/private APIs.
>
> -gps

Thanks for Gregory to point out my mistake and forward this mail to
python-3000. I really feel sorry for my mistake.

I have already checked out py3k branch and done some comparison with the
Python 2.5.2 release. My knowledge about Python internal is fetched from
the source code. And I will continue to study the document. But I am
still afraid of the lacking of document.

So I would like to make sure that some people is willing to help me
whenever I encountered a really hard problem relating to Python internal.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Haoyu Bai
4/13/2008