[Python-3000] Immutable bytes -- looking for volunteer

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 27 04:35:10 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> However there's quite a bit of Python 2.x code around that manipulates
> *bytes* in the guise of 8-bit strings, and it uses tests like "if s[0]
> == 'x': ..." frequently. This can of course be rewritten using a
> slice, but not so easily when you're looping over bytes:
>
>   for b in bb:
>     if b == b'x': ...

Would it make anything easier if there were a character
literal?

   for b in bb:
     if b == c'x': ...

where c'x' is another way of writing ord(b'x').

An advantage of this is that it would make Py3k compatible
with Pyrex, which already has c'x' literals. :-)

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |