[Python-3000] Immutable bytes -- looking for volunteer

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 09:39:24 CEST 2007

On 22/09/2007, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
> If it is decided to make bytes immutable (which sounds good to me),
> then I want to add my voice to those that clamor for an additional
> mutable object capable of allocating chunks of memory.
>
> This object should have a C-API and have it's structure exposed to
> extension module writers (thus array.array does not fit the bill -- but
> might be a prototype if some of it is moved over to the Objects
> directory and given an API).

Can you describe in a little more detail what you mean by "should have
a C-API"? I don't often work at the C level these days, so I may be
missing something obvious. The array module is built in, so it's
written in C - what needs to be exposed to qualify as a "C API"? And
why does the code need to move location to qualify?

(In case it's not clear, I'm thinking of having a look, and seeing if
I can help implement what you are after. No promises, given the amount
of free time I have, but with some hints I'll see how far I can get!)

Paul.