[Python-3000] New io system and binary data

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 25 04:32:26 CEST 2007

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>> P.S.:  If opening files on Linux is now to be semantically meaningful,
>> then the documentation on that section also needs to change.  Currently
>> it appears to mean that it's a meaningless specification that will be
>> ignored unless you happen to be using the MSWindows platform.
>>

> I just checked in a change to the documentation for the builtin open function.
> Please have a look at Doc/library/functions.rst and let me know if you
> think more needs to be done.  Also, if there are other places in the
> documentation
> where it seems to imply that the distinction between text and binary modes is
> meaningless on Unix systems, drop me a note and I'll have a look.
>
> Skip

Yes, that says what I feel it should say.
(Well, I looked it up at
http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/library/functions.html?highlight=builtin ).
There's another place in the tutorial section
http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/tutorial/inputoutput.html?highlight=open
and search for "On Windows and the Macintosh, 'b' appended to the mode
opens the file in binary mode,"