[Python-3000] New io system and binary data

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Sep 19 22:28:08 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> You can repeat that until you're blue in the face but it's not going
> to change. Way more programs (especially simple ones) deal with txet
> than with binary data.

I have to agree with Guido. The new behavior is much better than the
default in Python 2.x. It seems that I'm the first user with an use case
which requires a binary stdin and stdout.

I can imagine two problems with the new way. The problems should have a
documented answer and best way to deal with them:

 * stdin or stdout are used in binary mode

 * stdin or stdout have to deal with data in a different encoding than UTF-8

Christian