[Python-3000] pep-0362?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Sep 6 22:43:02 CEST 2007

On 9/6/07, Joel Bender <jjb5 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0362/
> >
> > This would be helpful for boost::python.
>
> Speaking of helpful...
>
>      class X:
>          def f(self): pass
>
>      class Y(X): pass
>
> ...I would like a mechanism to indicate that Y.f is inherited, and I was
> hoping that perhaps that information could be found in its signature.  I
> see that it's not, would it be another PEP to add it?  (It was a bit of
> an eye opener when I first found out that Y.f.im_class wasn't X.)

Something like this could go into the 'inspect' module (didn't even
worry about __slots__)::

  def find_def(meth):
    for cls in meth.im_class.mro():
        if meth.im_func.__name__ in cls.__dict__:
            return cls
    else:
        return None

For such a simple addition to inspect you just need a patch that has a
good implementation, thorough unit tests, and a core developer who
thinks it is worthwhile enough to add the functionality.

-Brett