[Python-3000] PEP 3137 plan of attack {stage 2]

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Oct 19 23:24:17 CEST 2007

> On 10/7/07, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > I'd like to make complete implementation of PEP 3137 the goal for the
> > 3.0a2 release. It should be doable to do this release by the end of
> > October. I don't think anything else *needs* to be done to have a
> > successful a2 release.
>
> I'm still hopeful, though realistically we may not quite make it.
> Here's a status update on the issues I identified in my last message
> (plus some identified afterwards):
[SNIP]

> > - make == and != between PyString and Pyunicode return False instead
> > of converting
>
> A patch by Thomas Lee exists: http://bugs.python.org/issue1263
> However it breaks some unit tests.

[SNIP]
> A patch by Alexandre Vassalotti exists but breaks some unit tests:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1280
>
> > - change PyString's repr() to return "b'...'"
> > - change PyBytes's repr() to return "buffer(b'...')"
> > - change parser so that b"..." returns PyString, not PyBytes
> > - rename bytes -> buffer, str8 -> bytes
>
> A patch by Alexandre Vassolotti and Christian Heimes exists for these 4 items:
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1247
> However it breaks too many tests to be applied right now.
[SNIP]
> > - move initialization of sys.std{in,out,err} into C code and do it earlier.
>
> A patch by Christian Heimes exists: http://bugs.python.org/issue1267
> However it still breaks some unit tests...

With so many patches now floating around, I figure getting some help
with patch approval is probably the most useful.  Is there a specific
patch you would like to see get applied above the others?  Or does it
not matter and one should just grab any of them and just try to fix a
test or two when one has the spare time?

-Brett