[Python-3000] Python 3.0a2 release

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Wed Nov 21 21:09:36 CET 2007

On 11/20/07, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/11/2007, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > PPS I *will* see what the current status of msvcr8/9 support in the
> > Mingw project is, but I'm not too hopeful - mingw is currently
> > undergoing a change of maintainers and progress has slowed a lot.
>
> Apologies. I had an out of date mingw runtime. It appears that msvcr80
> *is* supported with mingw, but that's the latest.
>
> Whether that counts as an argument for sticking with VS 2005, I don't
> know. I doubt it, realistically. But it *may* constitute an argument
> for not going to VS 2008 until it's actually released (and mingw have
> a chance to ship a runtime with appropriate CRT support).

I would not hold up a compiler decision based on the mingw project.  Always
use the latest MS compiler released at the time for a x.0 build of any
python.  Doing otherwise costs the world a fortune in lost performance
(higher power consumption via lower efficiency code).  mingw will
undoubtedly catch up on its own.