[Python-3000] Trying to understand Python 3's comparisons

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Wed Nov 21 09:19:50 CET 2007

On 2007-11-20, you wrote:
> (top-posting to shorten the reading time)

[snip]
> This does mean that it doesn't fall back on logical equivalences.  It
> is entirely possible (though pathological) for two objects to be both
> equal and unequal, or for one to be both less-than the other but not
> less-than-or-equal.

Ah, this was the point I was missing. If you have < then you can define
all the other comparison in terms of it. Yet when you define < and ==
Python gives you > and != by reversing arguments, but doesn't give you
<= or >= even though it is possible to do so.

I'll write myself a class decorator that can create the "missing"
comparisons using logical equivalences.

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu