[Python-3000] need help fixing broken tests in py3k-pep3137 branch

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Nov 3 19:46:43 CET 2007

Adam Hupp wrote:
> A patch for these is in http://bugs.python.org/issue1380
>
> One of the errors was an explicit isinstance test for bytes when the
> actual type was buffer.  Is there a way to test for 'bytes-like'?   Is
> the presence of a 'decode' method sufficient?

I've applied your patch. Thank you very much!

No, Python has no means to check for the buffer interface yet. You could
do isinstance(ob, (bytes, buffer)) but it wouldn't catch every object.
We could create a PyObject_CheckWriteBuffer() API function and expose
PyObject_CheckReadBuffer() and PyObject_CheckWriteBuffer() expose them.
Or we could abuse isinstance(ob, memoryview). Or an ABC?

Christian