[Python-3000] need help fixing broken tests in py3k-pep3137 branch

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Nov 3 17:25:51 CET 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> In the py3k-pep3137 branch I've been working on the implementation of PEP 3137.
> The work is largely done, but I'm stuck with about 20 failing tests,
> and very little time this weekend to work on these. Here's the list:

Houston, we have a problem! The py3k PEP 3137 branch is seriously broken
under Windows.

C:\dev\python\py3k-pep3137\PCbuild>python
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\dev\python\py3k-pep3137\lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 32,
in <module>
    from . import aliases
ImportError: cannot import name aliases

way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

The py3k branch still works so it wasn't caused by the merge from the trunk.

Christian