[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Ka-Ping Yee python at zesty.ca
Tue May 29 05:57:45 CEST 2007

On Mon, 28 May 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Now, identifiers are by definition character streams.  If an English
> speaker would pronounce the spelling of an English word "A B C", and
> an Arabic speaker an Arabic word as "1 2 3", then *as an identifier*
> the combination English then Arabic is spelled "A B C _ 1 2 3".  And
> that's all the Python compiler needs to know.  In fact, on the editor
> display this would be presented "ABC_321".

This draft on internationalized URIs:

    http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/draft-duerst-iri.html#anchor5

points out some examples of extremely confusing display orders that
can be caused by digits (which require a left-to-right ordering),
slashes (which can cause digits to be interpreted as fractions), and
other operators near digits.  These strike me as rather awful results
of the bidi algorithm.

Would the display of source code be affected this way as well?

-- ?!ng