[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sat May 26 03:12:40 CEST 2007

--- Steve Howell <showell30 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>
> > On 5/25/07, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > passed to the interpreter
> > contribution that uses
> > have to change the global
> > would affect all code I'm
> > >
> > > Are you still thinking about the single on/off
> > switch?
> > >
> > > I agree that saying "Japanese identifiers are OK
> > from now on" still
> > > shouldn't turn on Cyrillic identifiers.  I think
> > the current
> > > alternative boils down to some variant of
> > >
> > >     python -idchars allowedchars.txt
> > >
> > > where allowedchars.txt would look something like
> > >

> > > 0780..07B1    ; Thaana
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > 10000..100FA  ; Linear_B plus some blanks I was
> > too lazy to exclude
> > >
> > > (These lines are based on the unicode
> Scripts.txt,
> > and use character
> > > ranges instead of script names so that you can
> > exclude certain symbols
> > > if you want to.)
> >
> > I still think such a command-line switch (or
> > switches) is the wrong
> > approach. What if I have *one* module that uses
> > Cyrillic legitimately.
> > A command-line switch would enable Cyrillic in
> *all*
> > modules.
> >

> I agreed with you at first that once you allow
> Cyrillic code from your good, trusted buddy that
> codes
> in Cyrillic, you essentially open the door for all
> bad
> people that code in Cyrillic, so enabling/requiring
> flag that trusts/distrusts Cyrillic code is
> basically
> an exercise in futility.
>
> But why couldn't there be a mechanism to accept only
> individual non-ascii modules as trusted modules?

Never mind.  I already know the answer to my question.
 The mechanism to import only "trusted modules" is the
import statement itself, backed by unit tests, trust
models, etc.

I don't think my somewhat fallacious reasoning
invalidates the argument for making Python parochial
by default, though.

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.