[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Fri May 25 17:32:25 CEST 2007

> It doesn't look like any kind of global flag passed to the interpreter
> would scale -- once I am using a known trusted contribution that uses
> a different character set than mine, I would have to change the global
> setting to be more lenient, and the leniency would affect all code I'm
> using.

Are you still thinking about the single on/off switch?

I agree that saying "Japanese identifiers are OK from now on" still
shouldn't turn on Cyrillic identifiers.  I think the current
alternative boils down to some variant of

    python -idchars allowedchars.txt

where allowedchars.txt would look something like

0780..07B1    ; Thaana

or

10000..100FA  ; Linear_B plus some blanks I was too lazy to exclude

(These lines are based on the unicode Scripts.txt, and use character
ranges instead of script names so that you can exclude certain symbols
if you want to.)

-jJ