[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri May 25 09:05:28 CEST 2007

> Ruby is a language that presumably has a lot of
> Japanese users, and it appears to me (I'm not a Ruby
> person, so I admit this is speculation) that Japanese
> users have to explicitly choose to use Japanese
> encoding to run source files encoded in Japanese.
>
> Setting aside all the limitations of Ruby, wouldn't
> the fact that non-latin-writing Japanese Ruby users
> live with the command line restriciton in Ruby suggest
> that they'd be just as willing to live with command
> line burdens in Python, if they decided to switch to
> Python?

"Just as willing" is probably the right analysis. It's
speculation that the ruby users are *happy* that they
cannot double-click a kcode script in the explorer
to run it, or perhaps there is another mechanism in
Ruby that avoids this problem - it's also speculation
that you *have* to use this command line option in
order to be able to use Japanese identifiers.

Regards,
Martin