[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 15:20:26 CEST 2007

--- "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> I'd make it more tedious and more flexible to relax
> the restriction,
> actually.  "python" gives you the stdlib, ASCII-only
> restriction.
> "python -U TABLE" takes a mandatory argument, which
> is the table of
> allowed characters.

Now that the PEP has been accepted, maybe some more
language could be added to it that addresses the
concerns of folks who want to keep their code
ASCII-only.

It seems that if Python, by default, restricts to
ASCII, then you at least eliminate the most obvious
objections.  (You still have the indirect arguments
about it contributing to less code written in English
worldwide, etc.).

Then, for all the other classes of users (Dutch tax
lawyer who still doesn't want Sanskrit, etc.), do you
advocate having multiple convenient ways to specify
their desired character set (command line flag, env
setting, magic directive at top of file, etc.), or do
you want the "one true way"?

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7