[Python-3000] PEPs update

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Fri May 11 01:38:33 CEST 2007

On 5/10/07, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> The PEP for eliminating __del__ seemed straight-forward
> at the outset, but the use case you presented doesn't
> seem to have a clean substitute (as it requires the object
> to be alive to finalize it).  Other use cases do have a clean
> solution.  So, I'll go forward with the PEP but am a bit
> disheartened that it is going to have to advise try/finally
> or somesuch for the harder cases.

You've probably already seen these, but just in case you haven't,
there have been two alternatives to __del__ posted recently to the
cookbook:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/519621
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/519610

Of course, they have their own sets of problems, but maybe there's
something worthwhile in there for the PEP.

STeVe
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy