[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] PEP 30XZ: Simplified Parsing

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Wed May 2 19:34:15 CEST 2007

Steven Bethard wrote:
> On 5/2/07, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>> Implicit string concatenation is massively useful for creating long
>> strings in a readable way though:
>>
>>     call_something("first part\n"
>>                            "second line\n"
>>                             "third line\n")
>>
>> I find it an elegant way of building strings and would be sad to see it
>> go. Adding trailing '+' signs is ugly.
>
> You'll still have textwrap.dedent::
>
>     call_something(dedent('''\
>         first part
>         second line
>         third line
>         '''))
>
> And using textwrap.dedent, you don't have to remember to add the \n at
> the end of every line.

But if you don't want the EOLs? Example from some code of mine:

     raise MakeError("extracting '%s' in '%s' did not create the "
                     "directory that the Python build will expect: "
                     "'%s'" % (src_pkg, dst_dir, dst))

I use this kind of thing frequently. Don't know if others consider it
bad style.

Trent

--
Trent Mick