[Python-3000] Draft PEP for Requiring Lowercase Literal Modifiers

Mike Klaas mike.klaas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 05:34:10 CET 2007

On 3/19/07, Andrew McCollum <mccollum at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> > Changes like this don't do much for me.  Sure, lowercase modifiers are
> > prettier, but why remove the general functionality and leave in a few
> > special cases, especially when functionality to display numbers in
> > those formats exists?
>
> It seems like your main objection is to the change disallowing the "0X"
> prefix when a 0 radix is passed to int, which is the only functionality
> suggested for removal by this PEP.  I think there are legitimate arguments
> on both sides, which is why this is listed as the major open issue.

No, that isn't an objection of mine.  I wanted to ensure that float(),
int() continued to be case agnostic for things like the exponent.

The consistency argument (numeric strings should be parsed as if they
were python literals) isn't terribly compelling, as you point out that
there are already parseable strings which aren't literal numerals
(inf, NaN).

-Mike