[Python-3000] Updated PEP: Integer literal syntax and radices (wasoctal/binary discussion)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 19 21:22:19 CET 2007

"Patrick Maupin" <pmaupin at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d09829f50703182214m7334dn3e2b12cd379cef3f at mail.gmail.com...
| The update includes issues discussed to date, plus the support of
| uppercase on input of binary and hex, e.g. '0O123'.
|
| It was pointed out to me that, since I suggested upper/lowercase was
| an issue for another PEP, removal of uppercase octal/binary belonged
| in that same PEP, if anybody cares enough to write it.

No, I disagree.  You can't remove something that does not exist ;-)
I thought it was agreed to only add 0o and 0b and *not* add 0O and 0B.
It is pointless to add something in one PEP that no one(?) wants only to
delete it again in another PEP.

 (It seems that
| style guides and user preference will lead most people to write '0o'
| instead of '0O', so perhaps there is no compelling need.)

There is no need at all for 0O and 0B.

Terry Jan Reedy