[Python-3000] I18N identifiers

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Fri Mar 16 15:36:03 CET 2007

Martin v. Löwis schrieb:
> Giovanni Bajo schrieb:
>>> What is the status of I18N identifiers? Has any progress been made?
>>> If not, I'd like to write a PEP, and mentor a SoC student to work on
>>> that (if one shows up).
>>
>> Is there any agreement over this feature in the first place?
>
> This counter-question may be an answer to my original question. If there
> is no consensus, it is unlikely that anything had been done.
>
> I won't discuss the specific concerns now; a PEP needs to be written first.

Since people have voiced their opinions, let me add mine:

As a professional programmer I would never use I18N identifiers.

OTOH, as native German and father of some children I have a hard time
explaining to them why they cannot have a variable named 'Bücher' if
they are writing a program that counts books, for example ;-).

Thomas