[Python-3000] I18N identifiers

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Fri Mar 16 11:07:59 CET 2007

On 15/03/2007 11.29, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> What is the status of I18N identifiers? Has any progress been made?
> If not, I'd like to write a PEP, and mentor a SoC student to work on
> that (if one shows up).

Is there any agreement over this feature in the first place? FWIW I am a
strong -1 on this. I don't want to start downloading packages I can't use
because people have started using characters not on my keyboard.

There have been strong debates about adding a similar feature to C99 and to
GCC, and there are strong opposition about allowing it in common coding
conventions (eg: FSF's). Do we want to start going down that route?
--
Giovanni Bajo