[Python-3000] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Octal

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Thu Mar 15 09:39:19 CET 2007

On 3/15/07, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:

> My worry focuses on new-timers and SyntaxErrors. The worst part of the new
> user experience is encountering a SyntaxError.

Please. I already said it would be a SyntaxError *with explanation*. It's
pretty easy to make a syntax error that goes "Did you mean 0t6065 or 6065?".
This would not be a syntax error handled by the parser, the tokenizer really
doesn't care about leading 0's and ast.c's parsenumber (which would be the
spot to raise it) has all the necessary information.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!