[Python-3000] An impassioned plea for true multithreading

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Jun 26 21:23:00 CEST 2007

On Tuesday, June 26, 2007, at 08:49PM, "Chris Spencer" <cspencer at cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>	I know this is probably futile, but I'm going to ask anyway.
>Since I have not the time (or ability) to code this, I am not even
>submitting a PEP.  I'm throwing this out there on the wind.
>	Since we're doing a lot of work that breaks backwards
>compatibility, one more piece of breakage needs to happen.  We need to
>have true multithreading.

This request comes up from time to time and the standard OSS mantra applies here: show us the code.   None of the core developers is interested enough to work on this and it is far from sure that removing the GIL can be done without massive restructuring of the core interpreter or loss of performance (and possibly both).

Someone has tried to lose the GIL several years ago (Google should be able to tell you about this) and ended up with a working but significantly slower interpreter.

>Reasons:
[snip the same old reasons]

Ronald