[Python-3000] Python 3000 Status Update (Long!)

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Jun 21 19:51:32 CEST 2007

> I think you were missing my point, which is that sum
> doesn't and shouldn't necessarily have the same
> semantics as map(+).

It's not that I don't understand your argument, Steve.

I just don't find it effective.  If we are going to distinguish
between "arithmetic addition" and "concatenation", we should find
another operator.

As long as we *don't* do that, my personal preference would be to
either remove "sum" completely, or have it work in a regular fashion,
depending on which data type is passed to it, either as arithmetic
addition or as sequence concatenation.

Bill