[Python-3000] Python 3000 Status Update (Long!)

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jun 20 19:09:04 CEST 2007

> Strings are explicitly disallowed (because Guido doesn't want a second
> way to spell ''.join(seq), as far as I know):

Isn't "map(str, x)" just a second way to write "[str(x) for x in y]"?

This "second way" argument is another often-heard bogon.  There are
lots of second-way and third-way techniques in Python, and properly
so.  It's more important to make things work consistently than to only
have "one way".  "sum" should concatenate strings.

Bill