[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 10 22:14:47 CEST 2007

>> If it is the latter, I don't understand why the 95% ascii users need
>> to run additional verification and checking tools. If they don't
>> know the full language, they won't use it - why should they run
>> any checking tools?
>
> I drop this
> package into my tree, add the necessary imports and...
>
> ImportError: non-ascii identifier used without -U option
>
> Huh, apparently this 3rd party package uses non-ascii identifiers.  If I
> wanted to keep my codebase ascii-only (a not unlikely case), I can
> choose to either look for a different package, look for a variant of
> this package with only ascii identifiers, or attempt to convert the
> package myself (a tool that does the unicode -> ascii transliteration
> process would make this smoother).

I cannot imagine this scenario as realistic. It is certain realistic
that you want to keep your own code base ASCII-only - what I don't
understand why such a policy would extend to libraries that you use.
If the interfaces of the library are non-ASCII, you will automatically
notice; if it only has some non-ASCII identifiers inside, why would
you bother?

>  * Or I copy and paste code from the Python Cookbook, a blog, etc.

You copy code from the Python Cookbook and don't notice that it
contains Chinese characters in identifiers???

Regards,
Martin