[Python-3000] setup.py fails in the py3k-struni branch

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jun 8 06:06:49 CEST 2007

On 6/7/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> >> The os.environ.get() method probably should return a unicode string. (?)
> >
> > Indeed -- care to contribute a patch?
>
> Ideally, such a patch would make use of the Win32 Unicode API for
> environment variables on Windows. People had already been complaining
> that they can't have "funny characters" in the value of an environment
> variable, even though the UI allows them to set the variable just fine.

Yeah, but the Windows build of py3k is currently badly broken (e.g.
the _fileio.c extension probably doesn't work at all) -- and I don't
have access to a Windows box to work on it. I'm afraid 3.0a1 will be
released without Windows support. Of course I'm counting on others to
fix that before 3.0 final is released.

I don't mind for now that the posix.environ variable contains 8-bit
strings -- people shouldn't be importing that anyway.