[Python-3000] setup.py fails in the py3k-struni branch

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jun 7 19:34:22 CEST 2007

On 6/7/07, Alexandre Vassalotti <alexandre at peadrop.com> wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> > Well not the bug yet, but I did find the file.  :-)
> >
> > The following clears it so make will work.
> >
> >      rm ./build/lib.linux-i686-3.0/_struct.so
> >
> > So maybe something to do with Modules/_struct.c, or would it be something
> > else that uses it?
>
> Removing any compiled extension files will work too. So, _struct isn't
> the source of the problem.

It's time to look at the original traceback (attached as "tb", after
fixing the formatting problems). it looks like any call to
encodings.normalize_encoding() causes this problem.

I don't know why linking an extension avoids this, and why it's only a
problem for you and not for me, but that's probably a locale setting
(if you mail me the values of all your locale-specific environment
variables I can try to reproduce it). The trail leads back to the
optparse module using the gettext module to translate its error
messages. That seems overengineered to me, but I won't argue too
strongly.

In any case, the root cause is that normalize_encoding() is badly
broken. I've attached a hack that might fix it. Can you try if that
helps?