[Python-3000] Unicode IDs -- why NFC? Why allow ligatures?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jun 7 04:46:32 CEST 2007

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Jim Jewett writes:
 >
>  > I am slightly concerned that it might mean
>  > "string as string" and "string as identifier" have different tests
>  > for equality.
>
> It does mean that; see Rauli's code.  Does anybody know if this
> bothers LISP users, where identifiers are case-insensitive?

I don't think the issue arises in Lisp, because to use
a string as an identifier you have to explicitly convert
it to a symbol, whereupon there is an opportunity for
case folding, normalisation, etc. to be done.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |