[Python-3000] PEP 3131 roundup

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 04:24:18 CEST 2007

--- Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ideally, either that equivalence would also include
> compatibility, or
> else characters whose compatibility and canonical
> equivalents are
> different would be banned for use in identifiers.

Current Python has the precedence that color/colour
are treated as two separate identifers, as are
metre/meter, despite the equivalence of "o" to "ou"
and "re" to "er," and I don't think that burns too
many people.  So I'm +1 on the unquoted third option,
that canonically equivalent, but differently encoded,
Unicode characters are allowed yet treated as
different.

Am I stretching the analogy too far?