[Python-3000] Substantial rewrite of PEP 3101

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:32:31 CEST 2007

Talin wrote:
> What I wanted to avoid in the PEP was having to specify how all of these
> different parts fit together and the exact nature of the parameters
> being passed between them.
>
> And I think that even if we do break up vformat this way, we still end
> up with people having to replace a fairly substantial chunk of code in
> order to change the behaviors represented by these flags.

If you make the methods to be overridden simple stateless queries with a
True/False return like the two I suggested in my other message, then it
becomes easy to tailor these behaviours without replacing the whole parser.

For cases where changing the behaviour of those cases isn't enough then
you would still have the option of completely overriding vformat.

Cheers,
Nick.