[Python-3000] Lines breaking

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 03:31:11 CEST 2007

On 6/2/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> That's not the point; this is like the logical operations on decimal
> thing.  Adopting a standard in full is reassuring to potential users,
> who won't complain, they just go away.
> We only *need* to do it if we want to claim Unicode conformance in
> this area.  I think that is desirable; readline functionality is very
> basic to a text-processing language.

Even then, I don't think we *need* to do it.  Unicode generally allows
tailoring (so long as you specify), and the entirety of chapter 5
(Implementation Guidelines) is explicitly non-normative.

That said, it might be a sensible change anyhow, particularly if we
treat it like the CRLF combination, so that a Form Feed at the the end
of a line doesn't force splitlines to produce an empty line.

-jJ