[Python-3000] pep 3124 plans

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jul 24 05:42:23 CEST 2007

At 07:57 PM 7/23/2007 -0700, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>On 7/23/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> > At 11:58 AM 7/24/2007 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
> > >A class is defined in just one place, or a limited number
> > >of places if it has base classes.
> >
> > ...and may be subclassed in an unlimited number of places.
> >
> > A generic function is defined in just one place, with a limited
> > number of "generic" methods typically adjoining it, and may be
> > extended in an unlimited number of places.
> >
> > Where's the difference?
>
>Phillip, you seem to be dead set on providing a mathematical proof
>that the two are equivalent.

Actually, I don't consider them equivalent; I consider each to have
its own benefits and drawbacks.  For example, GF declarations are
more verbose than traditional methods, both at definition and call time.

I just don't see that the things Greg is describing aren't equally
applicable to traditional methods.

>I could come up with several reasons why it's not the same at all,

I'm genuinely curious as to what those are.  If you have the chance
to send them to me privately, I'll use them only to improve the PEP
-- and I won't reply here or privately.  :)