[Python-3000] test_hotshot failing -- what's up?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Jan 10 19:34:19 CET 2007

On 1/10/07, Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Did the import magic number get changed?  That was the cause of my
> > last crash in test_hotshot (not related to this though).
>
> I don't think so (at least, I didn't change it).

Actually, Neal meant that if the bytecode changed, you *should* have
changed the magic number (and I should have remembered when I reviewed
it). If the magic number doesn't change, bogus bytecode compiled by a
previous version of the compiler may survive and throw things off.

It looks as if the hotshot test passes after a "make clean" which is
another indication that this is indeed the cause of the failure.
(Still waiting to verify this result on a much slower machine where
the same thing happened.)

> > On 1/10/07, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > > Hm, then maybe it started failing after I applied Collin Winter's
> > > 'except' patches. Collin, does test_hotshot pass or fail for you, with
> > > or without your patches?
>
> test_hotshot passes both with and without the patches for me. The
> attached patch may fix things for you, though; it correctly restricts
> the N in "except E as N" to a NAME token (I had accidentally left it
> as <test>), plus patches the compiler package.

Ah, thanks, I noticed that but forgot to let you know. :-(