[Python-3000] possible new packages (PEP 3108)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jan 10 02:06:39 CET 2007

On 1/9/07, Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/9/07, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > On 1/9/07, Mike Klaas <mike.klaas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Does the sets module serve any purpose other than backward
> > > compatibility?  Why not remove those module for py3k?
> >
> > Same reason that the User* modules still exist I suppose.  Plus I
> > don't know if PyPy or anyone else rely on it for their set/frozentset
> > implementation.
>
> What's the concern with PyPy and IronPython? Don't they already have
> copies of the sets module?

It's not a worry of whether they have a copy in their current version,
but whether we care to continue to be the official maintainers of the
module if they use it.  We could say they have to maintain it
themselves and remove the module, but there might be duplicated work
if they both use it.

But I am fine with removing it.  If no one speaks up to save it you
can consider it gone for Py3K.

-Brett